Child support: can I suspend payment while unemployed?

I am a father of three children, one from a prior marriage and two from my current marriage. I have been unemployed for almost a year. How do I get my child support reduced to zero so the arrearages won’t continue to increase?

Wisconsin law requires you to return to the family court commissioner or circuit court judge for your county for adjustments to child support payments, according to family law attorney Maureen Kinney. The commissioner or judge will want to know why you’re unemployed — whether you quit your job or were laid off — and will require you to demonstrate you’re actively seeking employment. While commissioners or judges may not eliminate your child support payments altogether while unemployed, they may at least reduce your payments until you find a job.

For more information about family law, contact Maureen Kinney at 608-784-5678

Please Share Me On